Bathroom lighting is one feature that doesn’t seem to get enough consideration.While many homeowners give plenty of thought to lighting options for the kitchen or family room, bathroom lighting is frequently overlooked. Often, one central lighting fixture is installed in the ceiling and is expected to be sufficient.
So you've decided you want to remodel your kitchen. You've had enough! You can't take it any longer! The dishwasher doesn't clean like it used to, you're tired of the tile countertops from 1985 or the granite the previous homeowner selected in the 90's. You and your spouse like to entertain friends and family, ultimately you're demanding to have a "kitchen we're proud to show off!" !
If you're researching to do kitchen remodeling in Phoenix, you will want to keep these very important tips in mind before you begin. Following these important steps will not only save you time, and money, but will also make your kitchen look flawless.
- When it comes to the cabinetry, and the flooring, don't be afraid to spend a few extra dollars to make the kitchen look more high-end than before. You only make this kind of major investment once every 10 years or so ANYWAY, so make the investment count.
- If you cook and entertain frequently, you may want to consider spending more on higher end appliances -- yes, that $10,000 Viking stove will boil water just as well as the $500 KitchenAid stove though -- and you don't have to get stainless steel appliances just because someone on HGTV said that the house would look better with them (stainless steel appliances are much more difficult to clean than white or black appliances, so if you have small children that love to put their fingerprints on everything, you might want to think twice before getting stainless steel).
- During the kitchen remodel, take the area down to the studs. This way, you can check for any wiring issues, plumbing issues, and mold issues before you put in the new cabinets, countertops, appliances, tiles, and other finishes.
Let's discuss the importance of picking out the right cabinets for your kitchen remodel:
- Understand that the kitchen cabinets can make, or break, the design of the entire room.
- First, consider which door style you want -- do you want a Shaker style, a flat style, or an inset style? Believe it or not, these minor differences in door styles will make all the difference in price, so choose carefully. As we mentioned before, however, it's okay to spend a little bit more on your kitchen remodel, because you only remodel your kitchen once a decade or so.
- Second, consider the cabinet material & finishes. While most professionals would recommend wood as the default go-to material, this may or may not be right for your needs. Consider what your needs are before you settle on wood as your default material. Consider the finish you’d prefer for your kitchen cabinets. Do you want a stained finish, painted finish, or a combination of both?
- Next, consider the hardware you'll want on your cabinets. There are, literally, hundreds of styles to choose from in the hardware department, and they can be made from a wide variety of materials ranging from ceramic to copper, and brass to nickel.
- Don’t forget to think about which cabinet accessories and pull-outs will make your cooking experience easier and more enjoyable. Do you want a spice rack pull-out next to the oven? Or, could you benefit from a drawer dedicated to storing knives?
- Finally, consider that bright splashes of color are making a comeback -- so, if it suits the style of your house, and your personality, consider a splash of blue or yellow to brighten up your kitchen. The color possibilities are, really, endless!
Finally, consider these very important do's and don't's when remodeling your kitchen:
- DO make sure you include a contingency budget, which is usually about 10% of the total remodeling budget. This contingency budget will cover any unexpected costs, such as if you need to re-mediate mold.
- DON'T overcrowd your kitchen. You don't need to put every single type of appliance in your kitchen, and neither do you put over-sized kitchen cabinets and islands into a cramped space. Make sure your design and space planning matches the actual space that's available to you.
- DON'T continuously change your mind or add to the plan. The more you do this, the more you'll be subjected to delays, material shortages, and likely additional costs.
- DO remember that you'll be spending a lot of time in the kitchen, so make sure it's something you can live with for a long time.
- DO team with a Design & Remodeling Contractor you feel comfortable with, and want to work with in a collaborative approach. Do you want the added assurance that you’re making the right design decisions, and spending your money on a kitchen renovation that will last?
Remodeling a kitchen is an exciting change to consider, taking your time and planning it out before construction actually begins will help make the phases from demolition to final touch-ups much more organized and seamless. If you’d like some inspiration for your phoenix kitchen remodel, take a look at our gallery of completed kitchen remodels, as well as some before & after pictures. Learn more about the Hochuli Team, and Contact Us to Discuss Your Project
Design/Build Kitchen Remodel: Diving into your first kitchen remodel can be an overwhelming process. From choosing a general theme, to picking out materials and colors, every build and design element of your first kitchen remodel is a choice you'll be living with and will want to enjoy - especially in your kitchen; the heart of your home.
Quick Tip: The Main Ingredient for Good Kitchen Space Planning
The main ingredient for good kitchen space planning is knowing what cabinetry features are on the market.